Thursday, November 26, 2009

busy Athens.

I know the city of Athens was chosen by the ancient Greeks as a base and I do understand why. The climate is great, it's usually sunny and warm and there's little humidity. Of course I also think that those Greeks would freek out if they would witness the way this place has become over the many years.. Chaos is a Greek word and that is exactly the expression that comes to mind when one has to move around. Every day I spend hours in my car to get from one place to another, not taking into account the time I loose by getting lost... If I have to take a taxi it's like taking the last helicopter out of Saigon, you just stand on the side of the road and scream your destination at any yellow cab that comes into your vision...Most of the taxi drivers ignore my screaming and it's a matter of great luck to catch one that goes into the direction I want to move... To shop for food needs a lot of thought before departure, since the best shops are scattered around town. So when I finally arrive home to cook I can only think of putting on some soft music,of lighting my candles and then to disappear into my cosy kitchen for some stirring in my pots.
This is called cooking therapy and oh it works !!! Today I made gouvarlakia, a Greek soup with tiny meat balls, I love this kind of comfort food...
Let me give you the recipe, so you can also enjoy the meaning of home made food after a day of struggling with the world out there... It will take you thirty minutes to prepare and you can buy a country loaf to have on the side.. With a glass of red wine this should be just perfect !
You need:
500gr. minced meat(preferably beef)
1 grated onion
50gr. rice
4 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
700ml beef stock
1 tablespoon ketchup

Mix the beef, onion, rice parsley, oil and seasoning into a bowl. Knead it and shape into little walnut sized balls.
Bring the stock to boil in a large pan and add the gouvarlakia. They should be covered with the stock. Add more if you have to.
Simmer for 30 minutes, stir every now and then, open the wine, set the table and then make the avgolemono sauce.
For this you need:
juice of one lemon
2 eggs, lightly beaten.
Add the juice to the eggs, then add 100ml of the cooking liquid to this. Pour this over the gouvarlakia and shake the pan.
Serve with freshly ground pepper.

Bon apetit,
with love,
esther.

No comments:

Post a Comment